Tuesday, June 19, 2007

FISH! FISH! FISH! er Fish

(This is a prehistoric article. Slightly lazy so i thought i would upload this one. Hf)

Sept 11th 2001. No I’m not adding to the already endless list of articles written on a far too blown out event. Rather I’m relating the incidents that made it one of the bitterest days in my life.

The sun rose bright and shining as usual. However, I rose along with it, which was extremely unusual. It was the day of our Inter House Quiz.

I walked into school with a cocky ‘know it all’ attitude. The sight of the other participants preparing was the first sight that set my heart beating at a rate that is scientifically considered slightly higher than normal. But not enough to make my hand quiver as I announce my name.

The grueling rounds of quizzing started fairly well and my team progressed at a fairly even pace. Then came the question ‘What or Who was Pol Pot?’
I apply my world famous, er I mean ‘class famous’ logic and think ‘Since a teapot is used to make tea, a polpot should be some sort of cooking vessel used to make a drink called pol’. I shoot out the answer. The wry smile on the quizmaster’s face tells me that I am as far away from the answer as Bush is from responsible. (No offence meant). Later I came to know that Pol Pot was an inhumane leader of the Khmer Rouge party that used to rule Cambodia.

And so the Quiz continued until the Speed Round at the beginning of which I found my team stranded at the fourth position. My teammates and I wait eagerly for the questions. The tension is mounting. The question came like a jolt out of the blue. ‘Which animal would you associate with pisciculture?’ The obvious answer was fish and I screamed it out. Unfortunately in my eagerness to finish out the question, it came out something like this ‘FISH! FISH! FISH!’

The answer had an effect that was entirely opposite to my aim. The whole auditorium burst out laughing along with the Quizmaster, wasting our precious seconds. Ever since that day, I have carried the nickname ‘Fish’ with me. Wherever I go, whatever I do, I’m always ‘Fish’. Haste makes waste after all.

2 comments:

Bullshee said...

ha ha ha! Thats the first 'quiz-blast-from-the-past' I've read!

But do people still call you 'Fish' or is it a Mallunized version like 'Mathi' , 'Ayila' ???

Anil Joseph said...

Nope just fish.Somehow using species names i guess would diffuse the intensity. Its always fish.